Sunday, May 07, 2006
Changing templates and moods
So, yeah. I have been mucking around with the template and am working on making the feel of the site more like me. I think this is a good start.

Last week on my regular blog Snarkypants was "Magnificence Week" - and I challenged my readers to list five magnificent things about themselves each day for five days. They totally rose to the challenge, too! I really appreciate that they opened themselves up to trying something new and I promise not to throw out a challenge like that tooooo often!

I am fortunate now that I know my strengths and love myself for them. There was a time when all I could see were the flaws in myself ... not thin enough, not married soon enough (for my family, anyway), no children, not following a traditional catholic path - all the things I thought others wanted of me. Sure, I was smart and a good writer but 38 and not married?? GASP! It took a lot of work on my part to accept who I really, truly am. And not only accept that, but actually like who I am.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it wasn't hard for me to list the ways I am magnificent. What was hard was getting to the place where I could let them flow freely. I think I'm there.
 
posted by Lisa at 9:50 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Anita

    Hey you, I like the new template. It does suit you much better, and it's visually much more interesting. Maybe I'll experiment with changing mine. I didn't realize there were so many out there! You and Ryan have made me realize that.

    I am 31 and still in med school and unmarried. My family thinks I should have finished med school at 26 and have gotten married before 30, preferably to another Korean-American doctor who is also Catholic and from a "nice" family. They would like to be able to speak Korean with their in-laws. At my age, my mother had two daughters and I was already in preschool or kindergarten.

    But we live in different times, and though I'm a "good" girl, I'm not my mother. Also, I was born in the U.S. and grew up here exclusively. My parents didn't travel back and forth between Korea and here, the way some Asian families travel back and forth.

    Would I like to get married and have children one day? Absolutely! Is it something I have made a priority? Not especially.

    My twenties were very hard for me, particularly in learning about organizational and institutional politics. This was a big learning lesson for me. Of course, learning about being an empath was a huge (and very important) discovery for me. One of the biggest "accomplisments" of the last year has been opening up my third eye -- for much of my twenties and my time at the University, it was, in Rose's words, "browned out."

    Learning to be of service without giving my life away has also been a big lesson.

    I think one of the biggest challenges for me and my generation will be the advent of many minority women leaders, particularly female Asian-American leaders. This has not really happened in the past, for a variety of reasons. The Asian and Asian-American women I saw growing up mostly played secondary roles or roles that were very much behind the scenes. I think that we will see more Asian and Asian-American women taking the helms of society in the next 20 years.

    Keep writing, I'll look into playing with the template on my blog. Just not right now.

    BTW, How did you set up the link to The Daily Om at the bottom of the left-hand column? That's very cool. I'm more interested in the mechanics of how it was done than anything else.

    -A

     
  • At 12:46 AM, Blogger Anita

    I figured it out -- v. cool!

    -A

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Dawn :)

    Great job - like the template :)