Sunday, May 21, 2006
Would *I* have the courage?
This young woman, Jean Rohe, delivered an amazing commencement speech for the graduating class of the New School. She planned on discussing " ... social responsibility in a time of war, but in much more oblique terms. I wanted to speak about communication, and how I have found that one of my strongest and most enjoyable methods of communication is music." Instead, after finding out that John McCain had been invited to speak, against the wishes of the student body (who, in fact, they were there to honor), she revised her speech to encompass a much larger topic.

She states in her closing:

We all have much work to do, and for the most part the media do not represent us, the small people who don't hold any special titles but who feel the weight of our government's actions on our backs each and every day. I never expected to get the opportunity to speak the way I did yesterday, but I'm so glad that I did. I hope that other people found strength in my act of protest and will one day find themselves in my position, drawing out their own bravery to speak truth.


Those who know me well know my feelings about our political climate so I won't go into that here. What I do want to discuss, albeit briefly, is the strength and courage it takes to speak your truth, whether it's it front of thousands at Madison Square Garden or in front of your own parents. It can be scary to do that - it is for me, even now. As I grow into who I have always been but didn't have the courage to show or acknowlege, I understand more fully the courage it takes some of us to live our truth.

I was raised Catholic but always questioned beliefs and wanted to know the "why" behind it. For one reason or another, it never fully resonated with me in my soul but for the most part, I went along with it because in my family it was "the thing to do". As I got into high school, I began to shed those beliefs but had nothing with which to replace them. And that was okay to me, despite being quietly looked down upon in our family for not following the pack. As if, because I didn't hold those same beliefs I was "less than" what others were. It was subtle but it was there.

Still, I went on my own way, ignoring that as best I could but never deep down feeling "accepted". Over the past five years, I've found that spiritual piece of myself again and embraced it in a way I had not before. I'm sure my family would be incredibly surprised to see it flourish in the way I sense it is going to but that worries me less and less. What is important is being fully Lisa, in the best way I can.

The young woman I mentioned in the opening paragraph learned that lesson early, it seems. And good for her. We all get there in our own time, when we can speak our own truth and detach from the outcome.

What will it take for you to speak your truth and what does that really mean to you? I invite you to think more about it and comment below if you wish.

-L-
 
posted by Lisa at 6:46 AM | Permalink |


1 Comments:


  • At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Amazing, Lisa. I was thinking about this kind of topic, though in a different vein, just today after I was speaking to two of my friends, one of whom graduated from my college and is one of my oldest friends, another I met just a little over a year ago.

    It is difficult to stand up and just show up, just as we are, and to have the courage to withstand the judgment and censure we might receive. It is easier just to go along.

    I am just starting now to figure out my true voice and to live authentically.

    Thanks for inspiring me so much at snarkypants and here. Your encouragement -- with the salty snark -- means so much.

    -A